ΕΠΙΣΤΗΜΟΝΙΚΗ ΕΝΩΣΗ ΕΚΠΑΙΔΕΥΣΗΣ ΕΝΗΛΙΚΩΝ
Hellenic Adult Education Association (HAEΑ)
Oikonomou Str. 12
10683 Athens, Greece
Tel.: (0030) 21 060 122 97
Hellenic Adult Education Association (HAEΑ) is a scientific non-profit association based in Athens, Greece. HAEA today has approximately 1100 members, mainly adult trainers, students of postgraduate diplomas in adult education and high school teachers.
The mission of HAEA is the development of the scientific thought, action, research, information and the dialogue for Adult Education. The aims of the Association are mainly the following:
The promotion of the ideas and the principles of Adult Education.The elaboration of the scientific thought, the dialogue and co-operation on issues related to Adult Education.The development of initiatives in the sector of research.The support of initiatives for the application of innovative plans for adult education and training.The provision of consultation services.The cooperation with other similar international associations, scientific societies, institutes, research centers, universities, private and public entities.The professional development of its members.The development of solidarity, collegiality, as well as of the common professional consciousness among its members.The promotion and protection of the scientific, educational and professional interests of its members.The development of a general conscious awareness and information of the wider public about Adult Education issues and in general the diffusion of Adult Education in Greece and abroad.
The achievement of HAEA’s aims is accomplished through the following activities:
- Implementation of a) training or tutoring programs b) distance educational programs c) training of trainers programs.
- Implementation of planning and evaluation studies of adult education programs, as well as scientific researches on relevant topics.
- Organization of public discussions, seminars, congresses, symposiums and conferences at national and International level.
- Designing adult education programs and development of relevant educational material.
- Implementation of European programs co-funded by the European Union.
- Provision of consultation and support to public and private agencies, as well as individuals who are active in the Adult Education field.
- Publication of books and production of printed, audio visual and electronic material tailored to the principles and methods of adult and distance education.
- Publication of the quarterly scientific journal "Adult Education", which functions under a Scientific Committee and a Judge Committee.
- Cooperation with similar Greek and International bodies.
- Operation of a lending Library.
- Activities concerning the promotion and development of professional and scientific interests of the members of the Association.
HAEA has been involved in the following international projects:
- EQUAL: "Syn Praxis - Collaboration for employment". The program, completed in 2007, focused on the upgrade of professional qualification of Employment Advisors who work with sensitive social groups.
- GRUNDTVIG – Multilateral project: "E-MODE: Engage trainers in learning MODules and matErial creation", 2008-2010. The partnership was formed by: KEK-INE/GSEE (GR), HAEA (GR), SQL Ltd (GR), Roskilde University (DK), FSSK (BG), Scienter Srl. (IT) , Swedish TelePedagogic Knowledge Center (SE), Izmir University of Economics (TR). The main goal of the project was to determine the attitudes and practice of adult educators concerning the development of educational modules and material in the framework of distance education.
- GRUNDTVIG – Multilateral project: "Development of Innovative Methods of Training the Trainers – ARTiT”, 2010-2012. The partnership was formed by: HAEA (GR), Hellenic Open University, University of Roskilde (DK), VUCFYN (DK), University of Pitesti (RO) and ABF (SE).The project aimed to the development of an innovative methodology for training adult educators, with the use of distance training, so they are in position to design their educational modules based on the systematic observation of Works of Art and thus promote critical thinking and creativity for their adult learners.
- GRUNDTVIG Learning Partnership program: "Relational Elements of the Teaching Role- RETRO”, 2009-2011. The partnership was formed by: HAEA (GR), Limerick Institute of Technology (IR), Adult Education Centre of South Karelia (FI), Siauliai State College (LT), The Fullness-of-Life Academy Association (PL). The project aimed to support adult educators to manage successfully the relationships developed during the education of seniors, disadvantaged individuals, migrants, individuals of various educational backgrounds, but also in typical groups of learners.
- Grundtvig– Multilateral project: "INTOOL: It is Never Too Late For Learning to Learn", 2012 – 2014. The partnership is formed by: ENAIP TOSCANA FORMAZIONE E LAVORO (IT), HAEA (GR), Zemgale NGO Centre (LV), Soros Educational Center Foundation (RO), LEB (DE), I.P.G (ES). The project’s objective is to develop a set of materials (Tool Box) that trainers and adult educators can use to improve their activities with adult learners focusing mainly to the development of the learning to learn competence.
- Grundtvig Learning Partnership program: “Memory in later life: learning-supporting-developing -Memory ”, 2012 – 2014.The partnership is formed by: The Fullness-of-Life Academy Association (PL), The Frankfurter Verband fϋr Alten-und Behindertenhilfe e.v. (DE), The Courses Educational and Cultural Association (HU), The Union of the Italian Adult Education Organisations (IT) and the Association for Education and Ageing (UK). It aims to explore various practical memory and mnemonic rules, methods and techniques which might be implemented by teachers and seniors in order to help them perceive and use their memories more positively.
1st International Conference of Adult Education, Athens, 22-23 October 2004. Among the speakers were Sally Brown, Peter Jarvis, Phil Race, Alan Rogers.2nd International Conference “Adult Education & Social Competences”, Athens, 16-18 December 2005. Among the speakers were Olesen Henning Salling.3rd International Conference “Adult Educators: Their Education and Professionalization”: It will take place in Piraeus, 14-16 March 2008. Among the speakers there will be Brian Findsen and representatives of the Swedish organization ABF.
9th International Transformative Learning Conference
9th Transformative Learning Conference was held in Athens, 28th – 29th May 2011. Among the speakers there will be John Dirkx (Michigan State University, USA), Elizabeth Kasl (USA), Ed Taylor (Penn State University-Harrisburg, USA), Kathleen Taylor (USA), Elizabeth Tisdell (Penn State University-Harrisburg, USA)
1st Conference of the new network "Interrogating transformative processes in learning and education: an international dialogue" - which functions under the umbrella of the European Society for Research on the Education of Adults (ESREA) - titled «What’s the point of transformative learning?», to be held in Athens, Greece, 27th-29th June, 2014. Organizer is theHellenic Adult Education Association.
- The scientific Journal “Adult Education” (29 volumes published already): Itis the only scientific journal for adult education issues in Greece. The International Advisory Committee of the journal is formed by scientists with general recognition within international scientific milieu of Adult Education. These are: Brown Sally, Griffin Colin, Jarvis Peter, Race Phil, Rogers Alan, Fay Richard
The following books have been published by HAEA:
- Chasidou, M. (2009). Critical Reflection and Transformation in Adult Education through the art of Theater. Using as an example Ibsen’s “Vampires”.
- Efstratoglou A. (2006). Basic dimensions of literacy in Greece.
- Kokkos, A. (2008). Educating Trainers in Greece: Evaluation study of the first national Train the Trainers program.
- Lazaridou, T. (2010). Third Age Education
- Lintzeris, P.(2007). The importance of critical reflection and rational dialogue in Jack Mezirow’s theory of Transformative Learning
- Proceedings of the 1st International Conference of the Hellenic Adult Education Association (2004).
- Proceedingsof the 9th Transformative learning Conference (2011).