4. How to best use role models
4.1. Involve the learner
- Role models are great motivators for adult learners
- Especially if they themselves have gained a lot by participating in adult education courses.
- Especially if they strongly believe in what they do and are therefore able to motivate others.
- Listening to a role model encourages future learners, as they feel “I am not the only one”
- Beware not to “misuse” the learners and to hurt their privacy, but to represent them in a meaningful way
4.2. Have different types of role models
- Use different types of role models from different learning paths or different areas. This will appeal to different types of adult learners.
- Local role models may have a special effect.
- Famous people and celebrities are good as role models – based on their experiences,
- Establish a pool of people to draw on.