This section of Education and Development is produced in cooperation with DVV international
Adult Education for Development
The European Union has attached importance to Adult Education as part of Lifelong Learning ever since the 2000 Lisbon Strategy and acknowledges that it has contributed much to society. This is also true for foreign relations - in particular for the efforts of the European Union development policy.
This website is meant as a service for people who would like to inform themselves about current matters regarding development cooperation in Europe and who would like to engage themselves so that European decision-makers give more attention to Adult Education.
On this site you will find important political documents, points of view and discussions, also however, information about interesting meetings and projects. Here you will find regularly updated messages from all over the world on this topic, which dvv international has selected and arranged for you. We are very sure that you will be able to use this content for your daily work and that it will be a permanent bookmark in your Internet browser.
The Institute for international cooperation of the German Adult Education Federation, dvv international, places the emphasis of its work on the topic Adult Education for Development.
Who are we?
dvv international is a member of the EAEA. The Institute
• promotes European and world-wide information and interdisciplinary exchange for Adult Education and development,
• gives support during the building of development structures for Adult Education in developing and transformation countries
• offers advanced training, consultation and media for global, intercultural and European political education.
dvv international sees itself as an example to follow for lasting global development, in which the fight against poverty, peacekeeping measures and a fairer organization of globalization in one world are of urgent importance. The work of dvv international is characterized by its clear identification with the interests of underprivileged social classes in partner countries as well as in the promotion of its principles for the rights of women and against gender discrimination.
The programs, projects and initiatives carried out with our partners
• emphasize the basic and advanced training of Adult Educators,
• enable practice-oriented evaluation and research,
• promote the development of teaching and learning materials,
• support the institutional and material infrastructure,
• offer consultation during the organizational development process,
• to lobby for the recognition of Adult Education and
• maintain cooperation between regional and international organizations.
Projects initiated in individual countries are bundled into regional and program areas which are planned for together, controlled and their effect evaluated. National and regional offices in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe arrange cooperation with partners locally.
At present dvv international has about 170 employees. Of them, about 30 are active in the head office. Ten project managers sent from Germany are in foreign project offices along with 140 local employees.
You can get further information from the institute website: www.dvv-international.de.